February 12, 2004 Advisory Board



Robin Bond, Chairman                                           Susan Harper, Yacht Clubs

Kim Beasley, CIC                                                    Bob Heidrich, HYC

Bill Mossman, HBPAA                                            Chris Woolaway, Sea Grant

Kimo Corstorphine                                                  Arlen Walsten

Sinclair Brown                                                          CMDR George Butler             

Brad Rimell                                                               Captain Terry Rice, (Ret)

John Thielst, TESORO                                            Ed Araki

LCDR Kevin Nishimura                                           Linden Joesting, DOT Harbors

Call To Order and Approval of the Minutes

Chairman Robin Bond opened the meeting.    A quorum being present he asked for a review of the minutes of the previous meeting.   After a review of the minutes, Brad Rimell moved for approval, Kimo Corstorphine seconded the motion and they were approved by consensus.

Robin introduced a guest, Ms. Linden Joesting with DOT harbors.

AGENDA Item #3  –  Treasurer’s Report

Chris Woolaway reported that we currently have $1,032.52  in the bank, after the Christmas party.  The Propeller Club presented HOST with a $500 check, which included $250. for the Christmas Party and an additional donation of $250 for the upcoming National Harbor Safety Conference.    This brings the total to $1,532.52.  

AGENDA Item #4  –  Next Membership Meeting Topics

After a brief discussion the topics for next weeks General Membership Meeting have been approved as follows.   First will be a panel discussion with Bill Thayer or Troy Brown of Waldron Steamship Company discussion the future of cruise ships in Hawaii.    This will be followed by either Brad Rimell or Kim Beasley discussing the impact on oil barge inter-island shipping schedules and the potential impacts on safety and the environment.

At approximately 14:30 hours the Admiral will present an award to Paradise Cruises.     After the panel discussion the USCG Auxiliary will make a presentation on their activities in support of the USCG.      Finally the Captain of the Port will have an opportunity to update everyone on the Central Pacific Area Maritime Security Committee and any other issues he may wish to discuss.

            ●            Panel on Cruise Ships and Oil Barge Conflicts

            ●            USCG Award to Paradise Cruises

            ●            USCG Auxiliary Activities

            ●            Hawaii Port Security Issues

AGENDA Item #5  –  Sixth National Harbor Safety Conference

Robin reported that he is leaving next Tuesday afternoon for one week to attend the National Harbor Safety Conference in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.    He has asked Kim Beasley to facilitate the upcoming General Membership meeting.  Chris Woolaway reminded everyone that we are still short of funds for Robin’s trip so if you know of anyone wanting to donate money please let her know.

AGENDA Item  #6  –  Tesoro Security Flyer

John Thielst reported that Tesoro is preparing to begin their informational campaign to tell people about the security zone around the Barber’s Point moorings by the end of the month.    This will be a multi-media effort in different languages.   It will also include a power point presentation for special audiences.   The HOST logo will also be featured on the materials.  He also pointed out the future charts will show the security zone.    The USCG has agreed to mentioned the potential dangers of “floating objects” in the vicinity of the Tesoro SPM.

AGENDA Item  #7  –  Ocean Safety Meeting at Hanauma Bay

Robin reported on a HOST sponsored meeting that took place at Hanauma Bay that involved discussions between Ralph Goto’s Staff, the Life Guards and the Education Center.   The purpose of the meeting was to discuss communications during emergency incidents and possible ways to improve coordination and response capability.    Definite progress was made and future capitalization may provide even greater coordination when new radios can be purchased.   They intend to continue meeting semi-monthly to discuss issues that come up.

AGENDA Item  #8  –   HIRSA Industry Day

Robin reported that he attended the recent HIRSA Industry Day on behalf of HOST.    He discussed the recently updated SOP on diving.   He reported that it was well attended and that there was interest in possibly expanding the SOP to include commercial snorkeling activities.

AGENDA Item  #9  –   2004 Boat Show and Ocean Expo.  May 22nd and 23rd.

Robin reminded everyone that the 2004 Boat Show at Ko’olina is coming up soon.    We need help to man the booth so please,  please,  let him know if you can help.

AGENDA Item  #10  –   Pending HOST Safety Issues

a.         SOP 6-98 Commercial VHF Comms.    A letter has been prepared and is ready to be sent to commercial companies asking for information on which frequencies they use.   With that feedback we will be ready to update the SOP.  This letter is not out yet.

b.         Kawaihae Harbor Tug and Barge Safety  –  Robin reported that Sause Brothers has sent a letter to Ian Bernie asking that the State conduct another survey of Kawaihae Harbor users to evaluate the on going problem of conflicting use and congestion.  Nothing new to report on this.  

c.         Harbor Entry During a Disaster  –  No news on this.

d.         PR Education Committee  –  Julia was not present but Kim Beasley present three different sizes of posters he has developed on the EPIRB and VHF radio information campaigns.   We will wait for Julia to see if we want to make more.

e.         NOAA Weather Broadcasts  –  Kim reported that he had not had a chance to contact NOAA yet but he promised to follow up with Andy Nash of the weather service on seeing if there is a better approach to making weather broadcasts.    More to follow.

f.          Nat’l Harbor Safety & Security InfoCenter  –  Is port Security Cramping Your Style?   Bill Mossman reported that on behalf of HBPAA he sent a letter to a Boat U.S. “chat room” pointing out the conflicts experienced by boaters in Hawaii on the Security Zone rules for boaters.   HOST has sent a letter as well asking whether any other areas are having similar problems.   Meanwhile, Bill reported that it appears the USCG is taking a second look at the regulations with an apparent eye toward making some of the changes that Bill has been proposing.  More to follow.

AGENDA Item  #11  –   Homeland Security

LCDR George Butler reported that the for Hawaii Ocean Security Committee is being reformed and renamed as the Central Pacific Area Maritime Security Committee.   A Governing Board has been appointed and the USCG is currently making additional appointments of Committee Members.   Robin has been appointed to the Governing Board.   The “MSC”  will be looking to review plans.    They will look at the components and see if they adequately address concerns.   The intent is to gather local experience and “ground truth”  security proposals.

AGENDA Item  #12  –   Announcements

#1        Robin asked our guest Ms. Linden Joesting if she had anything she wanted to share with the group.

Linden informed the group that the Pilots Association has asked the State Harbors to require Cruise Ships to have tug boats to assist them into and out of ports.    There is a SOP on this but the pilots would like to see this formalized in to regulation.   Discussion followed suggesting that it may be time for HOST to update the SOP.   Ed Enos was the chair of the committee that developed the existing SOP.   Robin suggested that this is an action item to be followed up on.

Terry Rice also reminded the group that the current SOP on explosives in harbors is flawed and the USCG would like to participate in an effort to revisit that SOP

#2        Robin welcomed Ed Araki who has been unable to attend recently.   He asked Ed if there was anything new in the commercial fishing world of Japan Tuna.

            Ed pointed out that with the new security rules the United States Immigration Department has chosen to interpret the term “departure” to as it relates to 29 days for a short term visa.     Indonesian crews on the Japan Tuna boats may be at sea for extended periods and when they come in to port in Hawaii they are automatically beyond 29 days and therefore they can’t leave the ships.    Further, they are not being granted new visas because they are deemed a security threat.   It costs $100 to apply and because they are being rejected crews are no longer applying for new short-term visas.  

            Ed has been trying to work with the Immigration Dept. to resolve this issue but has met with little success.  He made a proposal to include an interview requirement but this has not been accepted.     Long liners are finding other ports of call to be friendlier.    In addition there have been reductions in the Japanese fishing fleet due to tough economic times.  All of this has meant a drop off in port calls in Hawaii.     It may be that his Shipping Agency will have to close due to lack of business.

            Linden Joesting suggested that Ed contact Ray Jefferson of DBED to see if he can help.    DBED should be concerned at the drop off of this important part of the economy.

#3        Terry Rice reported that he just recently attended the Whale Sanctuary meeting and felt that HOST might have a role in providing comments and input to the Whale Sanctuary Committee.    Also, we might have a role in help them to disseminate information that they develop.  He suggested that we explore a closer working relationship to the betterment of all.

#4        Bill Mossman announced that several efforts to put recreational harbors back under the direction of the Dept. of Transportation, Harbors Division appear to be failing at the Legislature.    DOT is opposed and it appears to have died in the Senate.

Robin asked if there were any further announcements.   

The next meetings are as follows:

●          Next General Meeting,  February 19, 2004  2:00 pm – Honolulu Community College Marine Training Facility

●          Next Board Meeting,   March 11, 2004  3:00 pm  –  Hawaii Yacht Club

●          Next Board Meeting,   April 15, 2004  3:00 pm  –  Hawaii Yacht Club


Robin asked if there was any further new business?

Hearing none, the meeting was adjourned.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *