May 11, 2006 Advisory Board


May 11, 2006

Troy Brown                                                                 Scott Osborn

Kimo Corstorphine                                                   Sinclair Brown

Chris Woolaway                                                        Rich Demuth

Robin Bond                                                                LCDR Gary Messmer

John Regan                                                               Randy Swindell

Bill Mossman                                                            John Thielst

Brad Rimell                                                                Bob Heidrich

Lt. Quincey Adams                                                  George Butler

Bill Anonsen              


AGENDA ITEM #1    Call to Order at 3:11 pm

            Robin called the meeting to order.    A quorum was present.

AGENDA ITEM #2      Approval of the Minutes of last meeting.

            After a brief discussion the minutes were approved by consensus.

AGENDA ITEM #3    Treasurer’s Report

Chris Woolaway reported that we have a total of $2,151.76.  This includes 2 deposits from the Combined Federal Campaign totaling $459.29.

AGENDA ITEM #4    Next Membership Meeting Topics   ( June 15, 2006 )

  • Hurricane Season – Preparedness:  LCDR Todd Offutt will do an update on the Vessel Dispersion Plan.  There will also be a big hurricane exercise encompassing an entire week. The results of the exercise will also be discussed.
  • U.S. Army Ordinance Disposal: The Army has asked to do a presentation on their disposal program.
  • Integrated Security System:  Bill Anonsen will coordinate a private sector presentation.
  • Hull Fouling:  U.S. Navy – Terri Kojima
  • Final Legislative Update – Bill Anonsen

AGENDA ITEM #5    Pending HOST Issues:

  • Safety at Sea Subcommittee:  No update
  • SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Vessel Visiting Offshore Port Anchorages:  Robin has received correspondence form Nancy Murphy.  Nancy asked if all ships have copies of the HOST tendering operations video.  After a discussion there was a decision to put together a subcommittee with the shipping agents and shipping companies to ensure that tender operators view the video before coming into port.  Teri Leicher of Kona and Hal Silva of Lahaina would like to be involved in the sub committee. Nancy has sent many copies of “letters to the editor” to Robin with concerns about the safety of the swimming lane that are not well marked.   The subcommittee will also address this issue. It may require improving the swimming lanes and buoys.
  • Tug Assistance:  Troy said that the State finalized the draft rules and next week there will be a DBEDT small business review which will provide recommendations for the public hearings.  The rules will probably not be instituted until next year.  It appears that the different interests are coming together.
  • SOP 10-98 Draft Vessel Dispersion Plan:  The draft needs editing and the changes should be made next week.
  • Shore Entry Safety Subcommittee:  Nothing to report.

AGENDA ITEM #6   Old Business:

  • Harbor Safety Conference:  Robin was unable to attend the conference because of personal reasons but will get a DVD copy of the Conference activities.
  • Hawaii Boat Show:  HOST did not participate in the Boat Show. Robin thanked Bob Heidrich and Chris for volunteering to help out. He also said that if we are going to participate in these events that we need to have more members turn out to help staff the booth.
  • Security Zone Brochures:  The printing should start July 1, 2006 .

AGENDA ITEM #7   New Business:

  • Port Security Grants:  Bill Anonsen said that they are put on hold.
  • May 22 is Maritime Day:  Bill Anonsen is working to organize the boat memorial.  He will be circulating information as it becomes available.
  • Pacific Maritime Magazine:  Bill is doing feature articles and would like to do one on HOST.
  • Joe Almony  of Hawaii Super Ferry is replacing Terry White on the Advisory Board
  • Nezette Rydell of NOAA Weather Service asked HOST to send out their invitation to the Hurricane Season Preparedness Workshop on May 23.

AGENDA ITEM #8   USCG Concerns:  Robin attended the change of command ceremony for USCG Rear Admiral Charles Wurster who is being replaced by Rear Admiral Sally Brice-O’Hara.

AGENDA ITEM #9    State of Hawaii Concerns – None at this time

AGENDA ITEM #10    USCG Auxiliary Issues – None this time

AGENDA ITEM #11    Announcements

  • Hawaii Fishing News Article:   Bill Mossman mentioned the article on privatization of Hawaii ’s small boat harbors in the May issue.
  • NOAA Main Hawaiian Islands Cleanup:  Chris mentioned the NOAA aerial survey and cleanup effort for the Main Hawaiian Islands that is going on now.  Any one interested in more information contact Chris.
  • The Legislation to prohibit the transfer of the small boat harbors to the counties is on the Governor’s desk to be signed.

Robin asked if there were any further comments.   Hearing none he adjourned the meeting at 4:45 pm .


            Advisory Board Meeting:  June 8, 2006

            Membership Meeting:  June 15, 2006

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *