HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting
April 12, 2012 (3:00 pm)
Hawaii Yacht Club
Warren B. Ditch Jr. Sparkie Ewing Bob Heidrich Neil Kanemoto
Clifford Inn Ed Lott Brad Rimell Arlen Walsten
Naomi Wasano Scott Whaley Chris Woolaway Roland Zwicky
Tom Collins Robin Bond
- Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Robin Bond at 1500 (3:00 pm). A quorum was present.
- Approval of the Minutes of the March 8 meeting. The March 8 meeting minutes were approved.
- Treasurer’s Report – Chris Woolaway reported that there is $1,866.07 in the HOST bank account.
- Topics for the April 19 HOST Membership Meeting
a. Update on the Japan tsunami debris situation by Ruth Yender and Jan Hafner: Chris reported that both Ruth and Jan will be able to present.
b. Anne suggested that PASHA can make a presentation on their new roll off ship. We are still having trouble coordinating with PASHA.
c. USCG update of the Tsunami Committee status
It was mentioned that the June General meeting could have an update of the June 4-7, 2012 Hurricane Exercise
- Pending HOST Safety Issues
a. Flare disposal project – Arlen Walsten reported that there is a meeting with H-Power next week Wednesday with us to go over what is needed to move forward.
- Continuing HOST Business
a. Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris reported that the talks regarding dry-dock are continuing and that copies of the 1989 dry dock have been found and delivered to PSI.
b. Marine debris from the Japan tsunami – The presentations next week should help furnish some of the answers to the questions we are getting.
c. Update of Lahaina Tendering Video – Cliff reported that he is negotiating for a videographer to focus on Lahaina, as Kona’s video is still useable.
d. Hawaii Ocean Expo – April 21 & 22 – Robin reported that there will be 5 booths thanks to DLNR Boating and if you can come down and man the booth call Robin at 224-5522 and he will meet you and get you checked in. So far, Robin, Bob, Brad and Chris have volunteered.
e. Share the Ocean – Cliff updated the Board. At the Hawaii Ocean Expo there will be the “Share the Ocean” posters, lanyards and a copy of the mandatory education proposed rules.
f. Keehi Lagoon range marker – Chris updated that the hang up has been the “Right of Entry. “ Chris has talked to the City and also DOT Harbors. According to Hattie at Harbors, she will follow up with the City & County Parks Carey Leong to get this moving. Chris reassured all that she will follow up with both.
- New Business
2012 West Coast HSC Summit – October 25 in Long Beach Robin and Brad are planning to attend this Conference instead of the Harbor Safety Conference in Pittsburg, as the Summit is more relevant to our issues.
- USCG Concerns
a. Commander Robert McFarland retirement April 6, 2012.
9. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR) – Cliff reported that the Kaanapali signs have been posted by Trilogy to let folks know about the proposed mandatory boating safety education rules, as classes will be required. A question came up about the curriculum and it was reported that it follows NASBLA guidelines. This mandate is to be “phased in”. If folks have comments Robin encouraged them to testify at the hearings. This is an important issue and needs everyone’s input. Robin has provided the information on the hearing dates and will keep the Board updated as needed.
10. Coast Guard Auxiliary and Power Squadron Issues – Ed Lott mentioned that he had written an article on “Lookouts” that will be in the May “Hawaii Boats & Yachts” publication. There will be a Mayor’s Proclamation on May 2 for Boating Safety the Governor’s Proclamation has not been scheduled yet. Kent Richards will arrange a CG helicopter rescue at the boating safety event scheduled for May 19 at Hawaii Kai Marina. There is a planning meeting regarding boating safety week every Tuesday at the Waikiki Yacht Club at 10:00 am. Chris needs to let Mike Cantin (with the NOAA Weather Service) know about this.
- NOAA Issues : None
12. Announcements: Bob reported that the Friday night races will be starting in the Ala Wai Harbor for the first time in five years. Robin asked if the yacht club is checking with Honolulu Harbor each race to avoid conflicts at the buoy. Bob to follow up.
- Next Meetings: AdvisoryBoard Meeting: May 10, 2012 (3:00 pm)
Membership Meeting: April 19, 2012 (2:00)
- Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)