HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting Minutes
March 11, 2021, 2:00 pm
Zoom Virtual Meeting
- Call to Order 2:04 pm. Introduction of guests.
- Treasurer’s Report:
- No new charges.
- Taxes filed.
- Changed address to: HOST Hawaii
2149 Lauwiliwili St., Suite 100
Kapolei, HI 96707
- Old Business:
- State recognition. Would add some responsibility to HOST and alleviate some burdens from DOT-H. Will meet with DOT-H to brief the idea and ask for support.
- Honolulu Harbor Festival/Maritime Week 2022. Begun long-range planning. Held initial planning meeting on February 25th. Next meeting March 25th at 10:00 led by Bill Anonsen. Contact Bill at email@example.com if you are interested in participating.
- New Business:
- “If Found” sticker market research update. Presented feedback on the existing sticker’s limitations from local dive and watersports shops. HOST will further investigate creating a new sticker with a QR code.
- Topics for March 18th General Membership Meeting:
- Honolulu Harbor dredging update- Nani Shimabuku, USACE.
- Possible Honolulu Harbor projects/KCT2 update- DOT-Harbors (confirming).
- Honolulu Harbor Festival input from public.
- Recreational boating kill switch law to be phased in this summer- USCG Aux.
- Kite surfers crossing channel- USCG.
- Other HOST business:
- USCG Concerns:
- Thanks for sending out email about kitesurfers blocking navigational channel in Nawiliwili.
- Dredging schedule updates can be found on PortCall.com. Channel width reduction from 500’ to 200’.
- USCG removing 2 buoys in Hanapepe in April in preparation for dredging there.
- Re-starting endangered species act consultation for HI dispersant pre-authorization letter.
- State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors & DLNR): None.
- City and County Concerns (Ocean Safety Division): None.
- Coast Guard Auxiliary/Power Squadron Concerns: Spoke regarding the “If Found” sticker and distribution challenges posed by COVID-19.
- NOAA Concerns: National Data Buoy Center lost servers and data due to a burst pipe and flood. No estimated time of recovery. DART buoys are down as well.
- Hawaii Pilots Concerns:
- Announcements: Tier 1B workers are getting COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Next Meeting: General Membership Meeting March 18th, 2021
Advisory Board April 8th, 2021.