HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting
December 8, 2011 (4:30 pm)
Hawaii Yacht Club
Kim Beasley Robin Bond Tom Collins
Sparkie Ewing Bob Heidrich Ed Lott
Joyce Miller CDR Jason Neubauer CDR Rafael Ortiz
Brad Rimell Kyle Ryan Anne Stevens
Arlen Walsten Naomi Wasano Scott Whaley
Chris Woolaway Darren Bullock John Schneider
- Call to Order 1630 (4:30 pm) by Robin Bond. A quorum was present. Robin reported that Mark Winslow is no longer with Tesoro and therefore is no longer on the HOST Advisory Board. John Schneider has taken his place at Tesoro.
- Approval of the Minutes of last meetings. The prior two meeting minutes were approved with corrections submitted by Tim McKeague.
- Treasurer’s Report – Chris Woolaway reported that there is $2,225.23 in the bank.
- Topics for the February HOST Membership Meeting
a. Anne suggested that PASHA can make a presentation on their new roll off ship.
b. Naomi suggested the Tahiti TransPac Race might be interesting
c. CDR Ortiz suggested that since there has been an increase in commercial diving accidents we might have a panel discussion with commercial dive operators to discuss if there is anything that needs to be done to mitigate these incidents.
- Pending HOST Safety Issues
a. Flare disposal project – Arlen Walsten indicated that he is ready to try a test run with H-Power to see how the disposal project will work. Chris will help coordinate the test with POP and H-Power.
- Continuing HOST Business
a. Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris announced the ship’s 133 year birthday party on Monday, Dec. 12 at the Falls of Clyde beginning at 5:00 pm.
b. HOST Christmas Party – December 8 right after this Board meeting. Door prizes have come in quite nicely.
- New Business
Ed Lott reported that there will be a Christmas boat parade on Dec. 10 at the Ala Wai and Honolulu Harbors. The parade starts at the Ala Wai Boat Harbor and should get to Aloha Tower Marketplace by 6:30 and end around 7:30.
8. USCG Concerns – Robin reported that the USCG parasailing safety alert and the USCG rigging inspection instructions have been posted on the HOST Website.
The USCG reported that they are working with the State and local business on the situation on Molokai with the tour boat that is not being allowed to the pier by some local residents.
9. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR) – Clifford Inn donated a bunch of tide calendars for the HOST party.
- Coast Guard Auxiliary and Power Squadron Issues – Nothing to report.
- NOAA Issues – Nothing to report.
- Announcements: PARTY TIME!
- Next Meetings: AdvisoryBoard Meeting: January 12, 2012 (3:00 pm)
Membership Meeting: February 16, 2012 (2:00)
- Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)